Monday, June 17, 2013

Summer to-do List

Dallin is out of preschool, the weather is getting hotter and humid...er: it must be summer! These warm summer months mean a lot of playing outside, but it also means a lot of trying to stay cool inside during the miserable heat. And with Dallin being used to preschool every morning and a lot of structured play, I have a feeling he'll get bored pretty quickly. So I came up with a plan to keep us busy and also have some fun.
 
I made a list of fun things to do this summer.
Some of the things on our list are big family activities (Visit the Sand Dunes, Go to St. Louis, or a movie night). I also tried to come up with lots of smaller activities to do like a picnic lunch, catch bugs, or fly a kite.
 
Making the board was pretty easy. I used a big thrift store picture frame and put white poster board behind the glass, so now it's like a white board. I started writing with dry erase markers but the color wasn't very vibrant and hardly showed, so I used permanent marker in various colors. Did you know that permanent marker comes clean off glass with window cleaner? The fun things you learn being a teacher...
For a finishing touch, I cut out some sun shapes and taped them to the glass. Easy!
 
Since taking this picture, I've added a few more things to our list: Visit Minnesota, See the Mall of America, Meet Spongebob Squarepants, go the County Fair, and make ice cream.
 
I'm really happy with our list because I think it will give us a quick idea for fun activities when we're bored. And it will be cool at the end of the summer to see all the things we've accomplished.
 
Feel free to use our list to come up with ideas for your own family. And if have any more ideas for a summer fun list I'd love to hear!

1 comment:

Katie said...

I've been meaning to do one of these. Very cute! Haha, potty train Dallin, he won't know what hit him.